Monday, March 28, 2011

Driving in Circles

I had an MRI today.  Basically you get injected with some contrast, lay still on a table, and the machine takes images.  About 15 minutes on each side.  I'm getting a little used to the whole tube/scanning experience.  This differs from the PET/CT and bone scan in that it's loud and makes a variety of knocks, pings and light saber type noises.  The table also does some shaking and feels like it's breaking down near the end of the imaging cycle.  I was told to expect this and that it's normal.  I should have my results by the time I see the surgeon again on Thursday.  The highlight is that I got a free pair of earplugs.

Kevin's back at work today.  Last week was his Spring Break.  I'm picturing a movie, "Girls Gone Wild - Cancun Swedish Cancer Institute".  This movie would feature a different sort of breast centric footage.  Okay, so it wasn't an ideal way to spend his vacation, but I'm grateful it worked out that he could come to a slew of appointments with me. 

Today was the first appointment I went to on my own, and I was going to a different location than the rest of my appointments.  If you know me at all, you know I am navigationally challenged.  I managed to get there smoothly.  Finding my way back to 5 South was not the most efficient process.  I was on Madison, ended up under the Convention Center, next thing you know I'm on Broadway, right on Cherry which took me to the freeway but not the on ramp.  At that point it dead ends to a one way street.  I turned right which sent me right back toward where I started.  This is when I decided to pull over and engage Jane.  She's the Brittish voice of the portable GPS.  I chose Jane, because I prefer being commanded to turn around by a proper lady.  Once I let her lead the way I was on James in no time and getting back to where I needed to be.

Yesterday's sermon was a tear jerker.  It was basically an encouragement to embrace and walk through your pain so that you can come out of it being fully present.  The reverend gave a couple of encouraging reminders.  1. You are a beloved child of God.  2. You are not alone.

One of the scriptures was Matthew 26:39

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

Another scripture has been floating about in my head as well.

Matthew 5:29-30

If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Matthew and my surgeon seem to be on the same page.

1 comment:

  1. Hey sis I can think of a few more verses
    John 9:1-7,
    Acts 10:38,
    1Cor 12:9,
    1Cor 12:30,
    but the one that has been on my mind the most since I heard the news has been ;
    James 5:14-20

    ReplyDelete