Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Delicate Sensibilities

I met with the radiation oncologist today for another consultation. The next thing is a planning session on October third. They will do a CT scan and give me some placement tattoos. Since they are treating the left side, sometimes there is an issue of the heart being to close. If that's the case, apparently they have some type of breathing apparatus they use. He said the heart moves during the breathing cycle, so they give the radiation when the heart moves farther away. He described it like a snorkel. Apparently, you see some kind of indicator of the right time during the breathing cycle when your heart is most distant, and you push a button which locks this device such that you can't breathe, and your lungs stay inflated. This is when they give the radiation. Then when you need to breathe, you push the button again which presumably interrupts the radiation. You get the indicator again, push the button, resume the radiation, etc. I guess in the end you get the radiation, don't suffocate, and don't get your heart zapped directly. If this ends up being necessary, there will be another appointment to get that together the week of Oct. 10. Assuming everything is a go, there will be a practice session October 21, and my treatments will begin Oct. 24. They're daily, five days a week. He said there will be between 28 to 30 treatments. The most common side effects include fatigue and skin reactions. Since I have no recollection of what energy feels like, I'm not sure whether the fatigue will even register. Though he didn't mention it as a potential side effect, I'm still hoping to develop a super power. Activities to avoid during treatment include sun exposure to the treated area (should not be a problem), hot tubbing, swimming, shaving under the arm of the treated breast, using deodorant on the side being treated, and wearing a bra. I don't think I would forgo these last three unless it was a matter of life and death. Oh well I'll try to embrace my rustic side. At least it will be winter, and I can just go around in giant bulky sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment